It’s harvest time and that means it’s time for Canola Camp! Once again, I had the special honour of designing and putting together a craft for the campers – a diverse group of bloggers, dietitians, scientists, foodies, chefs and ag enthusiasts.
This year, I changed things up a bit – instead of a charm chain, I did a driftwood hanger. A couple of the crafts were changed up a bit, too, and I absolutely LOVE how the whole thing turned out. (See below for a description of each craft.)
- Brand new for 2018 – a terracotta wind chime. I started with a tiny flower pot and added a few beads and a custom, embossed canola flower charm. This one was put together on the first night of camp and I had a blast “teaching” it to the campers, farmers and friends.
- The leather & lace bison charm – given to the campers after a visit to a real bison ranch.
- Canola seed in a miniature bottle. I changed up the design a bit this year and added a “beneficial insect” charm.
- Inspired by Ellen, I made a grasslands charm for the group’s visit to a working beef farm. I’m thrilled with how this one turned out.
- Bees! These fun tags were given to the campers pre-stamped with the bee image – all they had to do was stamp their thumbprint in yellow behind the bee’s body.
- Yarn bombing! This always ends up being a favourite with the campers. It’s so simple and always turns out great for everyone.
- Another new one! These mini map charms feature the route from Winnipeg to Russell, MB on one side and a chalkboard on the other for the campers to add a special quote or memory. The frame is a mason jar lid and the canola flowers are painted fabric.
- I always love making the beaded/hand stamped “Eat Well” spoons for the campers. They hang from a removable leather string, just in case they actually want to *use* their pretty spoon.
Thanks again to the Manitoba Canola Growers for letting me be a part of this incredible, life-changing weekend. Even though I’m only there for day one, it’s so much fun to live vicariously through the crafts (and see the awesome results!)